Ricardo Viana Vargas is a project, portfolio and risk management specialist. During the past 18 years, he has been responsible for over 80 major projects in various countries in petroleum, energy, infrastructure, telecommunications, information technology and finance industries, comprising an investment portfolio of over 18 billion dollars.
He is currently the director of the Project Management Practice Group at UNOPS and lives in Copenhagen, Denmark. His work is focused on improving the management of humanitarian, peace-building and infrastructure development projects in dozens of countries, such as Haiti, Afghanistan, Iraq and South Sudan.
He was the first Latin American volunteer to be elected Chairman of the Board for the Project Management Institute (PMI), the largest project management organization in the world with close to 2.7 million members and certified professionals in 175 countries.
Ricardo Vargas has written fourteen books on project management, published in Portuguese and English, which have sold over 300,000 copies throughout the world. In 2005 he received the PMI Distinguished Award and in 2011 the PMI IS CoP Professional Development Award for his contribution to the development of project management. He also received the PMI Professional Development Product of the Year award for the PMDome® workshop, considered the best project management training solution in the world. In 2013 and 2014, Ricardo has received the Most Valuable Professional (MVP) award by Microsoft for his work with Microsoft Project.
He is a project management professor for various MBA courses, and actively participates on editorial boards for specialized journals in Brazil and the United States. Vargas is a recognized reviewer of the PMBOK Guide, the most important reference in the world for project management, and also chaired the official translation of PMBOK into Portuguese.
He is a chemical engineer, holds a master’s degree in Industrial Engineering from UFMG (Federal University of Minas Gerais) and is a doctoral student in Civil Engineering at the Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF), also holds a Master Certificate in Project Management from George Washington University and is certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP), Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP) and Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP) by PMI and as Certified Cost Professional (CCP) by the Association for Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE). He is also certified as a Programme, Project Management and PRINCE2® Registered Consultant (P2RC), as a Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) Practitioner, as a Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices (P3O) Practitioner and also has the Management of Risks (MoR) Foundation certification by the United Kingdom Office of Government and Commerce (OGC) and as Certified Scrum Master (CSM) by the Scrum Alliance. He received the Advanced Certificate in Procurement and Supply Chain by CIPS and attended the Program on Negotiation for Executives at Harvard Law School and has an executive formation in Strategy and Innovation from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Over an eleven year time frame, which began in 1995, Ricardo, in conjunction with two partners, established one of the most solid Brazilian businesses in technology, project management and outsourcing industries, which had a staff of 4,000 collaborators and an annual income of 50 million dollars in 2006, when Ricardo Vargas sold his share of the company to dedicate himself on a fulltime basis to the internationalization of his project management activities.
He is a member of the Association for Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE), the American Management Association (AMA), the American Society for Quality (ASQ), the International Project Management Association (IPMA), the Institute for Global Ethics and the Professional Risk Management International Association (PRMIA).
Certifications and Credentials
UK Cabinet Office
- Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices (P3O) Practitioner since 2014
- Management of Risks (MoR) Foundation since 2014
- PRINCE2® Registered Consultant (P2RC) since 2013
- Programme, Project Management Registered Consultant since 2013
- MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) Practitioner since 2013
- PRINCE2® Practitioner since 2011
- PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP) since 2012
- PMI Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP) since 2012
- Project Management Professional (PMP) since 1999
- Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS) in Microsoft Project 2013 since 2013
- Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS) in Microsoft Project 2010 since 2010
- Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS) in Microsoft Office Project 2007 since 2007
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) in Microsoft Project 4 since 1996
- AACE - Association for Advancement of Cost Engineering
- AMA - American Management Association
- Forbes.com CEO Network
- GARP - Global Association for Risk Professionals
- GUIDEPOINT - Global Advisors
- IGE - Institute for Global Ethics
- IPMA - International Project Management Association
- PMI Registered Consultant Program
- PMI Registered Education Provider
- PRMIA - Professional Risk Management International Association