Ricardo Viana Vargas is an accredited project, portfolio and risk management specialist. Over the past 20 years, he has been responsible for 80+ major projects in various countries within the petroleum, energy, infrastructure, telecommunications, information technology and finance industries; covering an investment portfolio of over 20 billion dollars.
He is currently the Director of the Infrastructure and Project Management Group with the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in Copenhagen, Denmark. His work is primarily focused on improving the design, infrastructure and management of humanitarian, peace-building and infrastructure development projects in countries all across the world, including but not limited to, Haiti, Afghanistan, Syria, Myanmar, Iraq and South Sudan.
From 1995 to 2006, Ricardo, in collaboration with two partners, established one of the most significant Brazilian businesses within the technology, project management and outsourcing sectors; this organization consisted of 4,000 personnel and collaborators, with an annual income of 50 million dollars. In 2006, Ricardo Vargas sold his share of the company in an effort to fully dedicate his time and effort to the internationalization of his project management activities.
He is the first Latin American to be elected Chairman of the Board for the Project Management Institute (PMI), the largest project management organization in the world, with close to 2.7 million members and certified professionals in 175 countries.
Ricardo Vargas has written fourteen books on the subject of project management, published in Portuguese, English and Spanish, which have sold over 300,000 copies globally. In 2005, he received the PMI Distinguished Award and in 2011, the PMI IS CoP Professional Development Award for his contributions to the development of project management. He has also received the PMI Professional Development Product of the Year Award for the PMDome® workshop, considered the best project management training solution in the world. In 2013 and 2014, Ricardo received the Most Valuable Professional (MVP) Award by Microsoft for his work with Microsoft Project.
Vargas is a recognized reviewer of the PMI’s PMBOK® Guide, the most critical reference manual in the world for project management and also chaired its official translation to Brazilian Portuguese.
He is a chemical engineer by trade, holds a Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering from UFMG (Federal University of Minas Gerais) and is a doctoral student in Civil Engineering at the Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF). Ricardo also holds a Master Certificate in Project Management from George Washington University.
Ricardo became a Professional Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS) in 2015 and has been accredited with the most prestigious certifications in the project, portfolio and risk management fields. He holds three certifications by the Project Management Institute (PMI), five by the United Kingdom Office of Government and Commerce (OGC/AXELOS/APMG), one by the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS) and one by the Association for Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE).
In addition to the list of accreditations, Vargas has attended the Program on Negotiation for Executives at Harvard Law School, the Advanced Project Management Program at Stanford University and has an executive formation in Strategy and Innovation from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
You can see all Ricardo’s certifications, credentials and affiliations listed on the right and you can follow him on the following social networks.
Certifications and Credentials
UK Cabinet Office/Axelos/APMG
- Change Management Practitioner since 2015
- Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices (P3O) Practitioner since 2014
- Portfolio, Programme, and Project Management Maturity Model (P3M3) Consultant since 2016
- Management of Risks (MoR) Foundation since 2014
- PRINCE2® Registered Consultant (P2RC) since 2013
- Programme, Project Management Registered Consultant since 2013
- MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) Practitioner since 2013
- PRINCE2® Practitioner since 2011
- PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP) since 2012
- PMI Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP) since 2012
- Project Management Professional (PMP) since 1999
- Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS) in Microsoft Project 2013 since 2013
- Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS) in Microsoft Project 2010 since 2010
- Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS) in Microsoft Office Project 2007 since 2007
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) in Microsoft Project 4 since 1996