To deepen participants' knowledge in project management, presenting and detailing the knowledge areas proposed by the PMI PMBOK Guide, as well as through other market standards and methodologies.
Through the construction of a detailed project plan, the main aspects of a successful project are elucidated. Starting from the basics concepts, participants will understand the importance of planning, the main tools for budgeting, planning and assessing project risks. This training will also make an approach to the procurement, communications, human resources and quality processes.
At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- Distinguish projects from process
- Understand the main characteristics of a successful project manager
- Decompose the project scope through the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Develop feasible schedules and identify the project's critical path
- Identify and describe the project major risks (threats and opportunities)
- Distinguish standards and quality requirements
- Identify and resolve problems that comes from the resource allocation
- Develop effective reports to communicate the main points of the project
- Identify the main changes sources for the project control execution
- Reduce time through Compression and Fast Tracking methods
- Course duration [?]
- 16 hours
- Number of participants [?]
- Minimum 20 students per class
- Instructor [?]
- Ricardo Viana Vargas
- Instructor’s assistant [?]
- Target audience
- Project managers, project team members, sponsors and others stakeholders interested in the project management process.
- Language(s) [?]
- Portuguese, English and Spanish
- Provided by the contractor. Worldwide attendance.
- Certification and PDU [?]
- All training participants will receive a participation certificate with 16 PMI's PDUs.
(PMI R.E.P. activity number: Macro001)
Teaching Methodology Top ↑Ricardo Vargas had developed the market's most awarded dynamics, concerning the projects training.
Ricardo Vargas had developed the market's most awarded dynamics, concerning the projects training.
In this course, the following dynamics will be used:
The courseware to be received by the students will consist of slides, articles and lists of exercises, and it may also contain the following special products by Ricardo Vargas:
- Book Project Management: Establishing Competitive Advantages
- Book Practical Guide to the Project Plan
- 5 Minutes PM Videocast. Practical classes with Ricardo Vargas. DVD distributed worldwide by Microsoft that celebrates the Microsoft Project 2010 launch.
Exclusive student access area
In addition to the exclusive printed material, all participants will have access to the courseware’s electronic version, to the files of exercises and to the work done in the classroom.
The access is given through the restricted site that is available and prepared by the Macrosolutions team considering each course that we provide. This initiative is a pioneer in the educational market and also anticipates trends related to the documents’ electronic management
Training basic program
- ‣ Course opening
- 1. Define project management
- Project management definition
- When are projects necessary?
- Projects characteristics
- Define project success criteria
- Project management benefits
- The main causes of failures and successes in projects
- Project management myths
- 2. The project life cycle
- A project life cycle
- The life cycle characteristics
- The costs of changes and corrections
- Constructive opportunity x destructive intervention
- Fitness ability
- Risk uncertainty x Level of risks taken
- The phases in a project’s life cycle
- The integration between perfornance, costs and time in projects
- Analysing cost and duration in a project
- The analysis of performance and investment
- The analysis of performance and scope
- 3. The main areas of project mangements
- Integration management
- Scope management
- Time management
- Cost management
- Quality management
- Human resource management
- Communication management
- Risk management
- Procurement management
- 4. The project manager and his/her interfaces
- Definitions and skills necessary to the project manager
- Hiring a project manager
- The top mistakes made when recruiting a project manager
- Conflict management
- 5. The project management general model
- Justification of the project’s activity flow
- Project’s flowchart
- 6. Definition phase
- Problem or opportunity
- Develop Project Charter
- Identify the Project Manager
- Develop the Project Plan
- Define the project’s objective, justification,it’s main project and all of the deliverables
- Documenting the project’s information on the Project Plan
- Create scope alternatives for the project’s execution
- Estimating performance, costs, time, risks and consequences involved in the selection of alternatives
- Documenting the alternatives in the Project Plan
- Discarding unused information but documenting them on the Lessons Learned document
- Developt the Scope Statement
- Approve the Scope Statement
- 7. Planning phases
- Define and group the work packages and the project deliverables (WBS)
- Create the activity list for each work package (WBS)
- Summary of all the project plans (by knowledge area)
- Determining the duration of the activities
- Identify and select the human resources for the project
- Determining the activity dependencies (PERT)
- Bringing together the over allocated resources
- Determining the Critical Path (CPM)
- Develop the project’s schedule
- Determining the cost of the activities and the cost of the project (strategic approach only)
- Develop the Project Plan
- Approving the Project Plan
- Documenting the Project Plan in the project’s archives
- 8. Executing and Controlling Phases
- Executing auxiliary activies: procurement, communications, quality and scope
- Controlling changes by using the traditional approach
- Registering changes in the project
- Is all the work completed?
- ‣ Course close-out
Supported standards and methodologies
Project Management Institute (PMI) PMBOK Guide Yes PMI Practice Standard for Estimating Yes PMI Practice Standard for Earned Value Management — PMI Practice Standard for Configuration Management — PMI Practice Standard for Risk Management Yes PMI Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structure Yes PMI Practice Standard for Scheduling Yes PMI Standard for Portfolio Management — PMI Standard for Program Management — PMI Project Manager Development Competency Framework Yes Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (OPM3®) — UK Office of Government Commerce (OGC) PRINCE2 (Projects in Controlled Environments) Yes MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) — M_O_R (Management of Risks) — P3M3 (Portfolio, Programme, and Project Management Maturity Model) — P3O (Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices) — MoP (Management of Portfolios) — MoV (Management of Value) — Scrum Alliance Scrum Methodology Yes International Project Management Association (IPMA) ICB® IPMA Competence Baseline Yes
Top qualities: Expert, On Time, High Integrity Ricardo is a great professional who is very good at dealing with people. An innate communicator, he achieves high standard results with his influential capacity and wide knowledge of various subjects. It's truly inspiring to work by his side due to his peculiar way of doing business. He is always up to date and determined in his pursuit to obtain knowledge.
Joaquim Luiz ViannaMRS Logística | Juiz de Fora, Brazil
Ricardo is one of the best trainers on Project Management working in Brazil nowadays. He has done at least two trainings per year for Siemens Brazil in the last 5 years and his approval by the participants is always 100%. I’m sure he is the responsible for our great success in achieving the number of 170 PMPs certified in our group in Brazil. I can finally say that his training worth how much it costs.
Leandro PatahSiemens | São Paulo, Brazil
I consider Ricardo Vargas as a great reference in Project Management in Brazil and worldwide. He inspired me to know and use the PMI proposed practical. Besides, he has entrepeneurial vision and passion for everything he does. It’s always a pleasure to meet him and talk either personal or virtually. Ricardo thinks big and is extremely connected to the subjects concerning to management and to the great market changes, or on the economy and the society. Certainly, he is an outlier professional.
Marcelo BastosBanco do Brasil | São Paulo, Brazil
Ricardo Viana is the most valuable Project Management person that I've met. His books and working classes are kind of treasure that you have to meet at least once in your life. Even if you feel not so comfortable about this PM subject, you will notice his capacity to teach lessons about life, work and professionalism. I suggest you to read his books. For sure, you will be able to understand better the PM theme and moreover acquire a little bit from his experience and expertise in this topic.
Marcelo MoulinCitibank | São Paulo, Brazil
I worked with Ricardo Vargas during last HP Services Project Managers Workshop, held in São Paulo, Brazil, on Nov/06. As a company, we were looking for a senior market professional, that could support us with the main goal of improve our PM´s skills and capabilities. HP chose Ricardo as the right professional for this mission. During the workshop, Ricardo presented customized and market updated content, with high quality materials and totally aligned with what was required by us. He covered very important topics related with management of big and complex projects, like leadership and its interfaces with project team and customers; motivational management – dealing with power aspects; management of change, conflict, stress and crisis management; project negotiation techniques - using support tools like MBTI and SDI; and also case study panels, where PMs had the opportunity to share with the team their own delivery experiences. His presentation was superlative and outstanding. He has attention to details, answering all the questions raised by participants during the event, that by the way, had very good satisfaction results. I recommend Ricardo´s consultative services for companies that want good return on their investment and long term partnership.
Ronaldo BassiHP Services | São Paulo, Brazil