Ricardo Vargas through its international experience in the Harvard Law School ‘s Negotiation Program, provides the training that will empower students in the negotiation techniques subject, allowing a better understanding of the dynamics involved in the business relationships and enhancing the negotiation’s positive results.
At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- Understand the importance of the negotiation
- Distinguish the negotiation competitive mechanisms from the collaborative ones
- Plan to negotiate in a competitive way
- Create strategies to aggregate value
- Alternate and use "hard", "soft" and "analytical" approaches
- Understand the different cultures’ influence in the negotiation styles
- Establish an effective rapport
- Be familiar with the personal strengths inventory through the SDI
- Apply the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and the Jung’s preferences in the negotiation
- Understand the game theory’s influence in the negotiation
- Convert positions into interest during the negotiation
- Assess and understand the complex negotiations involving different levels of power and multi-stakeholders
- Identify and manage persons and hard personalities in the negotiation
- Course duration [?]
- 16 hours
- Number of participants [?]
- Minimum 20 students per class
- Instructor [?]
- Ricardo Viana Vargas
- Instructor’s assistant [?]
- Target audience
- Executives, project managers, Departments Managers, Buyers or anyone interested in negotiations.
- Language(s) [?]
- Portuguese, English and Spanish.
- Provided by the contractor. Worldwide attendance.
- Certification and PDU [?]
- All training participants will receive a participation certificate with 16 PMI's PDUs.
(PMI R.E.P. activity number: Macro013)
Teaching Methodology Top ↑Ricardo Vargas had developed the market's most awarded dynamics, concerning the projects training.
Ricardo Vargas had developed the market's most awarded dynamics, concerning the projects training.
In this course, the following dynamics will be used:
The courseware to be received by the students will consist of slides, articles and lists of exercises, and it may also contain the following special products by Ricardo Vargas:
- 5 Minutes PM Videocast. Practical classes with Ricardo Vargas. DVD distributed worldwide by Microsoft that celebrates the Microsoft Project 2010 launch.
Exclusive student access area
In addition to the exclusive printed material, all participants will have access to the courseware’s electronic version, to the files of exercises and to the work done in the classroom.
The access is given through the restricted site that is available and prepared by the Macrosolutions team considering each course that we provide. This initiative is a pioneer in the educational market and also anticipates trends related to the documents’ electronic management
Training basic program
- ‣ Course opening
- 1. Negotiation in projects
- The negotiation process in a project environment
- The importance of negotiation for each one who is involved
- Determining the negotiation needs of everyone
- Power and negotiation
- Batna and zopa
- 2. The different types of negotiation techniques
- The colaborative and the competitive schools
- The soft approach
- The analytical approach
- The tough approach
- 3. The cultural aspects involved in a negotiation process
- Culture and rapport
- Respecting the differences
- Building bridges x walls
- 4. Using the MBTI as a negotiation support tool
- The Myers Briggs Type Indicator and the Jung preferences
- Avoinding conflicts in teams using the MBTI
- How the MBTI can be used in a negotiation
- 5. The 5 steps to success in a negotiation
- Planning the negotiation
- Games Theory and the negotiation
- Exploring alternatives
- Converting positions into concerns
- 6. Complex negotiation
- Complex systems
- The Theory of Complexity
- Exploring differences
- Obtaing alternative deals
- 7. Group exercises
- Negotiation exercise : in pairs
- Complex negotiation exercise with multiple stakeholders
- ‣ Course close-out
Supported standards and methodologies
Project Management Institute (PMI) PMBOK Guide Yes PMI Practice Standard for Estimating — PMI Practice Standard for Earned Value Management — PMI Practice Standard for Configuration Management — PMI Practice Standard for Risk Management — PMI Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structure — PMI Practice Standard for Scheduling — PMI Standard for Portfolio Management — PMI Standard for Program Management — PMI Project Manager Development Competency Framework Yes Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (OPM3®) — UK Office of Government Commerce (OGC) PRINCE2 (Projects in Controlled Environments) — MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) — M_O_R (Management of Risks) — P3M3 (Portfolio, Programme, and Project Management Maturity Model) — P3O (Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices) — MoP (Management of Portfolios) — MoV (Management of Value) — Scrum Alliance Scrum Methodology Yes International Project Management Association (IPMA) ICB® IPMA Competence Baseline Yes
Top qualities: Expert, On Time, High Integrity Ricardo is a great professional who is very good at dealing with people. An innate communicator, he achieves high standard results with his influential capacity and wide knowledge of various subjects. It's truly inspiring to work by his side due to his peculiar way of doing business. He is always up to date and determined in his pursuit to obtain knowledge.
Joaquim Luiz ViannaMRS Logística | Juiz de Fora, Brazil
Ricardo is one of the best trainers on Project Management working in Brazil nowadays. He has done at least two trainings per year for Siemens Brazil in the last 5 years and his approval by the participants is always 100%. I’m sure he is the responsible for our great success in achieving the number of 170 PMPs certified in our group in Brazil. I can finally say that his training worth how much it costs.
Leandro PatahSiemens | São Paulo, Brazil
I consider Ricardo Vargas as a great reference in Project Management in Brazil and worldwide. He inspired me to know and use the PMI proposed practical. Besides, he has entrepeneurial vision and passion for everything he does. It’s always a pleasure to meet him and talk either personal or virtually. Ricardo thinks big and is extremely connected to the subjects concerning to management and to the great market changes, or on the economy and the society. Certainly, he is an outlier professional.
Marcelo BastosBanco do Brasil | São Paulo, Brazil
Ricardo Viana is the most valuable Project Management person that I've met. His books and working classes are kind of treasure that you have to meet at least once in your life. Even if you feel not so comfortable about this PM subject, you will notice his capacity to teach lessons about life, work and professionalism. I suggest you to read his books. For sure, you will be able to understand better the PM theme and moreover acquire a little bit from his experience and expertise in this topic.
Marcelo MoulinCitibank | São Paulo, Brazil
I worked with Ricardo Vargas during last HP Services Project Managers Workshop, held in São Paulo, Brazil, on Nov/06. As a company, we were looking for a senior market professional, that could support us with the main goal of improve our PM´s skills and capabilities. HP chose Ricardo as the right professional for this mission. During the workshop, Ricardo presented customized and market updated content, with high quality materials and totally aligned with what was required by us. He covered very important topics related with management of big and complex projects, like leadership and its interfaces with project team and customers; motivational management – dealing with power aspects; management of change, conflict, stress and crisis management; project negotiation techniques - using support tools like MBTI and SDI; and also case study panels, where PMs had the opportunity to share with the team their own delivery experiences. His presentation was superlative and outstanding. He has attention to details, answering all the questions raised by participants during the event, that by the way, had very good satisfaction results. I recommend Ricardo´s consultative services for companies that want good return on their investment and long term partnership.
Ronaldo BassiHP Services | São Paulo, Brazil